It’s been a while since I last posted an ESL activity for all of you to try at home but, now that we are in a lockdown situation here in France, I thought that I’d provide you with a fun activity to help keep your children busy with a fun dialogue and a paper doll activity.
This activity is actually one of the activities that I have given to my own students to do at home next week. I thought about it as I was viewing some easy English dialogue videos online. One of the most interesting ones came from the English Singsing channel on Youtube. I found it so appropriate for the times. Why not practice calling a loved one during a time when most of us are forced to stay inside? This would be a great way for a child to practice and then show off their English skills to a grandparent, for example.
Below, you’ll find the directions. Enjoy!
- Go to this link from English Singsingand watch their cute telephone video.
- After having watched it a few times ,and after having practiced the different parts, draw the two characters below:
3. Now you are ready to cut out your paper dolls and look around the house for a stick, paper straw or a strong piece of card stock to tape to the back of your dolls.
4. With a partner, decide which part of the dialogue you’d like to write out. My daughter decided that she wanted to write out both parts but you can just pick one if you’d like.
5. Now that your paper dolls are ready to “talk” you can stick the speech bubbles up on the wall (alternatively, you can also place them flat on table in front of you). Now you are ready to act out the parts and even make a little video of yourself, why not? I always find that children love finding out what they sound like and experimenting with different voices.
Wishing all of you a lovely day!
p.s. I almost forgot, I’m going to upload a video to my YouTube channel of when I used the puppets with my own children :)